Women, architecture and building in the east of Ireland, c.1790-1840

By Ruth Thorpe

Until the 20th century, the world of architecture and building was considered a male domain, but long before this, women of the landed class in Ireland were designing, commissioning, and supervising projects. Focusing on several women in the eastern counties, this study discovers how they came to develop an interest in architecture and the skills to express it. The book investigates the relationship between the publication of an architectural pattern book by Lady Helena Domvile and her re-building of Santry village, Co. Dublin. It also traces the fortunes of Anna Maria Dawson through her architectural sketches, from the planning of her brother's neoclassical house, Townley Hall, Co. Louth, to her patronage of its architect, Francis Johnston, and her own designs for more modest homes in counties Armagh and Down. Many of Ireland's elite women combined a sense of moral, social, and religious duty with a passion for designing and building, resulting in philanthropic projects such as schools, cottages, and almshouses. Recovering their role as architectural amateurs allows for a greater understanding of their lives and the buildings of this period. (Series: Maynooth Studies in Local History - Vol. 110)

68 pages

Publication Date: 9/30/2013
Format: Paper
ISBN: 9781846824005