The Vestry Records of the Parishes of St Bride, St Michael Le Pole and St Stephen, Dublin, 1662-1742
Edited by: W.J.R. Wallace
This is the fifth volume in the RCB Library 'Texts and Calendars' series. Like the earlier volumes, it makes key texts for the history of the Church of Ireland easily accessible through the medium of critical editions, with introductions and notes to the texts written by experts in the field. The parish of St. Bride, united with the parishes of St. Michael Le Pole and St. Stephen, served an area just outside the Dublin city walls based around Bride Street, Ship Street, Golden Lane, Stephen's Street, and Chequer Lane. The records of its vestry reveal how the parish recovered following the Restoration and developed in the 18th century. Information on the parish church - the clergy, patterns of worship, the role of the parish officers, interaction with the city in areas such as poor relief, fire fighting, and policing - provide valuable insights into the local and ecclesiastical history in inner city Dublin.
Publication Date: 9/30/2011